Fifty years ago, in the midst of the Civil Rights and Black Power movements, four African American mothers launched The West Oakland Health Council. It immediately rose up to become the neighborhood anchor for healthcare, health education, food and housing programs, and voter registration. The clinic became a spark that led to a transformation in health care advocacy in California and the nation.
West Oakland Health Council’s mission is to improve the health and well-being of the communities it serves by providing the highest quality of health care and treatment for its diverse patient population throughout Alameda County. Each of the clinic’s health centers strive to be a hub for health, compassion, engagement, and inspiration.
Today the West Oakland Health Council has an impact throughout the East Bay, with five clinic sites, one in Berkeley, one in West Oakland, and three in East Oakland. The services provided include high quality comprehensive adult and family medicine, pediatric health care, dental care, optometry, podiatry, behavioral health services, and pharmacies at two locations. We are a patient centered medical home.
Since its founding, and still today, The West Oakland Health Council has received federal grant funding, through the Health Resources and Services Administration. As such a grant recipient, the center is a Federally Qualified Health Center (“FQHC”). The patients we serve include those enrolled in Medi-Cal, Medicare, other insurance, and those with no insurance. Contracts with the State of California and Alameda County also enable the clinic to provide important patient services.
We currently have five (5) Service Sites to serve you
- Adult Medicine, Pediatrics
- Dental (Oral Health) Adult & Pediatrics
- Women’s Health
- Mammogram Referrals
- Obstetrics & Gynecology (OB/GYN), Family Planning
- WIC (Supplemental Food Program for Women, Infants & Children)
- Social Services: Counseling, Advocacy & Referrals
- Domestic Violence Counseling/Information and Referrals
- Methadone Maintenance & Detox Program: Counseling and Testing Program
- Behavioral Health (Mental Health & Substance Abuse Recovery Services (For Children & Adults)
West Oakland Health Council
700 Adeline Street
Oakland, CA 94607