POSITION TYPE: Full-time
POSITION: Registered Dietician / Nutritionist
REPORTS TO: Chief Medical Officer
SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the Chief Medical Officer, the Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist develops and carries out programs for the promotion of Health and the prevention of diseases, including assessing dietary practices; provides nutrition education and dietary counseling to Health Council patients.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
To be conducted in accordance with WOHC Policies and Procedures
- Plans, organizes, develops, and conducts nutrition services for patients receiving care in the clinic.
- Provides patient care via individual appointments and group activities, to improve nutrition and dietary practices.
- Reviews medical orders for diets prescribed or recommended for patients by their provider(s).
- Interviews patients to obtain information regarding dietary habits and preferences for guidance in planning diets and modifying dietary patterns.
- Provides nutritional follow-up to monitor patient/client progress in adopting modified dietary habits, to provide support, and to assess compliance with recommended dietary changes.
- Prepared nutrition assessments and high-risk care plans; counsels according to plans and provides for appropriate follow-up.
- Performs all duties for successful patient/client electronic health record maintenance within the designated time set by the organization.
- Attends general and medical staff meetings and participates in quality improvement projects.
- Performs all duties and services in full compliance with WOHC’s service excellence standards.
- Performs other related duties as may be assigned by the CMO, COO, and/or other designee.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish OR English/Arabic strongly preferred.
- Excellent communication skills at level necessary for taking patients’ medical histories, understanding provider and supervisor instructions, and for accurately documenting patients’ medical information.
- Intermediate to advanced computing and phone skills.
- Experience working in an electronic medical record environment.
- Ability to memorize, retain and recall pertinent skills and information.
- Working knowledge of “Universal Precautions” and demonstrated professionalism at all times.
- Possess a thorough understanding of the importance of confidentiality and non-disclosure according to the general standards set forth by HIPAA.
- Culturally sensitive and demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with ethnically diverse populations.
- Valid driver’s license or state I.D.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Current, valid California Dietician registration (RD).
- Valid Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation Card (CPR).
- Minimum 1-year experience as RD in an outpatient clinic preferred.
Service Orientation: Demonstrates a commitment to serving internal and external customers and or patients. Consistently seeks ways to improve service delivery and communicates ideas to management as needed.
Communication: Communicates clearly, accurately, and concisely in verbal and written forms. Effectively adjusts communication to specific situations and diverse audiences to ensure information is understood. Work effectively with multi-cultural and economically diverse patients.
Teamwork: Provides meaningful contributions and actively participates in team activities. Works as part of the care team to provide evidence based care, health coaching, self-management tools and proactively addressing the needs of patients and their families.
Quality: Actively participates in identify areas for improvement and establish methods for quality improvement.
Compliance: Stays in compliance with organization’s policies by being current in state mandated certification requirements and completing assigned policies and trainings in a timely manner.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Pace of Work: High stress, very rapid, and demanding
- Concentration: Constant
- Standing and Walking Time Required: At least 50% of the time
- Time Speaking and Listening: 60% – 70%
- Environmental and Health Hazards: Frequent exposure to communicable diseases and other conditions common to a clinic environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently will use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse and telephone keyboard, and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally bend, lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
POSITION DESCRIPTION REVISIONS
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with these roles. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current Position, management reserves the right to revise the Position or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change. This Position description replaces all previous Position descriptions for this position.